Berlin, and the chaotic Weimar republic is tearing itself apart as left and right political extremes vie for the people's hearts, while the currency devalues so quickly that wages are paid in wheelbarrows of cash and banknotes must be over-printed at 1,000 times their original worth. Where does one go to drown one's sorrows? Why, Herr Kettner's Kabaret, of course.
Step into a decadent, desperate world where economic collapse and political mayhem waltz drunkenly with bold new art and bolder social mores—the crossroads between an elegant feudal past and the thrilling modern world, where monocled aristocrats share tables with revolutionaries and women dressed as men, an artistic melting pot that produces the madness of Dada, George Grosz's satirical grotesques and the futuristic dystopian movie Metropolis.
Forget the gloom outside: here, across three floors of Herr Kettner's beautiful house, you can sway to the new "jazz" music from America, learn to dance the Charleston, flirt with our cabaret singers, guffaw at our comedians, and quaff Champagne and cocktails like there's no tomorrow—there probably isn't.
Our next party:
NEW YEAR'S EVE
Tuesday 31st December
Come and see in the New Year in truly decadent style! The future was so uncertain in 1920s Berlin that for many it made more sense just to live for the present—take a leaf out of their book and spend the last night of 2013 in a whirlwind of sybaritic abandon.
The revels will take place across three floors, including the exotic ground floor Champagne Bar, with live entertainment at every turn.
A limited number of full dining tickets are now available, priced at £165. Your evening begins with a welcome drink at 7.30pm, followed by a four-course dinner from 8pm (to see the sumptuous menu click on the image on the right), with wine included in the price, plus exclusive cabaret performances in the dining room. After dinner, wander the house and wallow in the hedonism…
Here is a taste of what is on offer:
● In the Ballroom there will be live 1920s ragtime, jazz and swing music courtesy of the Basin Street Brawlers plus vintage DJing from Vince Moses, and complimentary dance lessons fromPaul and Louise of the Swingtime Dance Co.
● In the Kabaret Lounge the revels will be led by that cheeky mistress of the ukulele Tricity Vogue, with daring burlesque from glamourpuss Ruby Deshabillé ● seductive siren song from the silver-tongued Dolores Delight ● riotous comedy magic from Christian Lee ● acerbic wit mixed with European cool from professional Frenchman Marcel Lucont ● all ably accompanied on the piano by cross-dressing ivory-tickler Von Klaus
● For those without dining tickets there willstill be a bar food menu featuring a special selection of dishes evoking Grand European café culture of the Weimar period. Guests are also welcome to dine in the Brasserie before joining the party (reservation required)
● Have a glamorous vintage photo portrait taken at our in-house pop-up studio by the talented but discreet Hanson Leatherby, gentleman photographer
● Sample the specially designed Herr Kettner's Kabaret cocktails at our three bars: click here for the cocktail menu
● After the traditional countdown to midnight, the cabaret, music and revelry will continue till 3am
● To see the dedicated Facebook event for this party click here