Berlin, and the chaotic Weimar republic is tearing itself apart as left and right political extremes vie for the people's hearts, while the currency devalues so quickly that wages are paid in wheelbarrows of cash and banknotes must be over-printed at 1,000 times their original worth. Where does one go to drown one's sorrows? Why, Herr Kettner's Kabaret, of course.
Step into a decadent, desperate world where economic collapse and political mayhem waltz drunkenly with bold new art and bolder social mores—the crossroads between an elegant feudal past and the thrilling modern world, where monocled aristocrats share tables with revolutionaries and women dressed as men, an artistic melting pot that produces the madness of Dada, George Grosz's satirical grotesques and the futuristic dystopian movie Metropolis.
Forget the gloom outside: here, across two floors of Herr Kettner's decadently beautiful house, you can sway to the new "jazz" music coming from America, learn to swing dance, flirt with our cabaret singers, guffaw at our comedians, and quaff Champagne and cocktails like there's no tomorrow—there probably isn't.
Our next party:
Friday 14th June
Guests are invited to wander from room to room, exploring the house…
● In the Ballroom there will be live swing jazz music courtesy of The FB Pocket Orchestra, vintage DJing from Swingin' Dickie, plus complimentary swing dance lessons from Robert and Claire of London Swing Cats
● In the Kabaret Lounge there will be sultry song from that siren of the speakeasy Gracie, daredevil escapology from Mr Edwin Flay, who will show you how to escape from any handcuffs, brazen burlesque from Honey Wilde, all wrangled by our hostess, that mistress of the ukulele, Tricity Vogue, and accompanied on piano by Nick Williamson
● Wonder at our wandering magician Oli B as he delights and befuddles with his sleight of hand
● At the Pernod Absinthe Fountain allow the Green Fairy to soothe and inspire your troubled soul, and receive a complimentary sample and masterclassin her history and preparation from our Absinthe Guru
● Have a glamorous vintage photo portrait taken at our in-house studio by Hanson Leatherby, gentleman photographer
● Sample the specially designed cocktails at our two bars: click here for the cocktail menu
● With a Dining Ticket enjoy a three-course gourmet meal with a complimentary welcome cocktail, plus exclusive cabaretperformances between courses. Click on the image above to see the mouth-watering menu
● For those with non-dining tickets there is a classy bar food menu